Just The Two of Us: Laughing and Sharing a Funny Memory!
myspace codes
Click here for Myspace glitter graphics and Myspace layouts

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Laughing and Sharing a Funny Memory! myspace layouts, myspace codes, glitter graphics myspace layouts, myspace codes, glitter graphics

Today, I thought it would be fun to share a cute little childhood memory of mine that just makes me laugh every time I think about.

Growing up in a Military family, I had a very strict up bringing. Dad worked hard and when he wasn't working he was usually always in the garage tinkering with one of the cars. (my Dad passed away 3 days after the war started in March of 2003) My Mom was very involved with the OWC and bridge clubs. It was very important to them to make a good impression. Family vacations were always joyful it was the one time they would usually let their hair down, so to speak, and these trips still hold a very special place in my heart.

One particularly favorite family vacation we went up to Silver Springs, Maryland and to visit my lovely petite little Grandmother. She was all of 4' 11" and weighed no more than 90 lbs. We all drove down to Rehoboth Beach, Delaware.

The beach was so nice because it had a boardwalk and you could rent bicycles built for two. You could stand on the board walk and watch through the window of one of the candy shops and see them make home made salt water taffy with this huge machine that would stretch and pull and rotate in a figure eight pattern, all while this stream of candy would get bigger and bigger. It was a thrill, then to be able to buy a box filled with all the pretty pastel colors of salt water taffy.

Here comes the embarrassing part, Upon settling down on the beach with my family, I couldn't help but notice the lifeguard was really cute. Myself just starting to get really interested in boys I was happy we were so close, why I even imagined him noticing me and you know...

I felt good because my mom and I had just purchased a brand new white swim suit for the trip. My brother Duane and I wasted no time in running out to take pleasure in the ocean waves. That's when the tides changed, and to my horror, my brother said, "I hate to tell you this Pamela, but your suit is see-through now that it is wet"! Wouldn't you know I begged my brother to go get me a towel, I urgently pleaded with him. Typical of little brothers, that little skunk got this awful little teasing grin on his face and sauntered slowly back to our families beach blanket setup, which, was still spread out just beside that cute lifeguard.

Well, as the minutes ticked on, I told myself I am not going to do it...I am not going to humiliate myself and let everyone see me like this... My hands started shriveling up, I was turning into a prune, I was getting the chills, I had to make a mad dash and tried feverishly to cover myself up as best as I could, all while making a direct beeline for one of the my families beach chairs. Not wanting to make eye contact due to the situation, unbeknown-st to me I mistook seeing everyone waving their hands at me (thinking oh my goodness, they all are trying to warn me about my suit) when really, they were trying to warn me the chair was broken and plop...I crashed right through it feet sticking straight up in the air and looking right into the cute lifeguards eyes...with this look on his face that said "Oh, you poor kid". Oh, he noticed me alright, and it was not graceful.

I laugh about it to this day! So if there is a moral to the story think twice before getting a white suit and don't panic if you are ever caught in this situation. Ha! Ha!

So, it's just the two of us hoping you can laugh about some of your most embarrassing moments!

22 Comments:

At 5:08 PM, Blogger Big Mama said...

I remember the summer I begged and begged for a white swimsuit but my mom wouldn't get it. After reading your story, I need to call her and say thanks!

 
At 6:57 PM, Blogger Ms. Kathleen said...

Oh my gosh! How embarrassing. But, what I really want to know is what did you do to get back at that onery brother of yours? Ha!

 
At 7:11 PM, Blogger Susie said...

I remember the summer my Mom bought a white swimsuit. She went swimming in the lake and it came out the most awful shade of green from the algae!
Fun memories...

 
At 7:19 PM, Blogger someone else said...

Oh my goodness, how awful! Note to self: don't ever buy a white swimsuit. Thanks for the warning.

Did you get your little pesky brother back really good??

 
At 8:25 PM, Blogger Pamela said...

lol, If I recall, I was so mortified over the whole situation that I probably still owe him...hummm?!#@!!

 
At 9:21 PM, Blogger Barb said...

I found out about wearing a white swimsuit, too. Perfectly fine until it gets wet. How embarrassing. I'll bet you just wanted to bury yourself in the sand. I have too many of those moments to even start listing them. But it would be kind of fun, wouldn't it? I think you just gave me a great Thursday Thirteen idea. Really, I'm sure I can come up with at least thirteen of them.

 
At 9:21 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Oh what a great funny story that is! Glad you can laugh about it now :)

I grew up a military brat too :) My dad was Air Force.

 
At 10:29 PM, Blogger Linda said...

That is adorable Pamela. I think we have all been there. I have some memories that still make me cringe. Thankfully we can laugh at them now too. I don't think I would want to be a teenager again for anything.

 
At 11:32 PM, Blogger Tammy said...

There is nothing worse than embarrassment when you are that age. I remember so many incidences from childhood where I didn't know the right thing to do and realized later how silly I looked (or at least that is what I thought). Kids are the worst at teasing too!

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Tammy

 
At 12:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL that was funny.

You know, being a military wife, I see how my husband is with the kids, and sometimes I have to remind him that they are not one of his airman LOL

He was raised in the military too, his grandfather was in the Army and his dad was a Marine Drill Sergeant....talk about STRICT!!! :)

Thanks for sharing this funny story :)

 
At 12:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL that was funny.

You know, being a military wife, I see how my husband is with the kids, and sometimes I have to remind him that they are not one of his airman LOL

He was raised in the military too, his grandfather was in the Army and his dad was a Marine Drill Sergeant....talk about STRICT!!! :)

Thanks for sharing this funny story :)

 
At 12:27 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

My daughter tried to start an embarrassing story link a couple of weeks ago. I'll tell her to try again. She had to delete it for some reason. I couldn't think of one at the time, but have come up with one. I know they're there, I just have suppressed them!

About the trees - I know what you mean about stability. I lived in 23 places before this one. I really don't relish the thought of ever moving. I'd take a different house, if I could take my yard with me!

 
At 4:52 PM, Blogger TJ said...

Just stopping by to say hi and to thank you for coming by my blog this week!
This was the cutest story even though I know how embarrasing it must have been, when I was a teen and could actually wear a bikini I was diving and oops...the top strings came loose.....
:-D

 
At 4:52 PM, Blogger TJ said...

oh...also love the memory of boxes of pastel salt water taffy...YUM!
:-D

 
At 6:04 PM, Blogger Barbie @ Mamaology said...

Cute story.... funny how embarrasing things can be so funny later!

 
At 9:52 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Very funny story. It's funny how we can laugh at the things we were mortified by long ago.

 
At 12:34 AM, Blogger Overwhelmed! said...

Oh, this is too cute! I would've been embarrased as well. :)

I bought a lime green swimsuit once. I was so excited that it fit me, not realizing that it was a kids sized swimsuit. The first time I wore it, it became very apparent that it was see-through! Until I could find another one that fit, I had to wear a t-shirt over my lime green one. :)

Thanks for sharing!

 
At 1:47 AM, Blogger Rae said...

Love the story! I bought a white bikini this summer, but I made sure it was thickly..padded! haha

I decided to steal your Lunchtime meme too, come check it out if you want! =)

 
At 6:53 PM, Blogger Carmen said...

bad things always happen in front of cute boys. :)

 
At 2:35 AM, Blogger Susanne said...

Here from the link. You must have had the same bathing suit I did, except mine was light green and totally see thru when it got wet and like you I had a stinker of a sibling who would not get me a towel. Thanks for sharing.

 
At 4:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That gives new meaning to the expression "to die for." I'm sure that's just how it felt to have him notice you like that.

 
At 5:48 PM, Blogger Kristen said...

OH, man! What a predicament. Who ever thought of making white bathing suits anyway!

Thanks for linking to this on my blog! :-)

 

Post a Comment


Cursors

<< Home