Just The Two of Us: A Man Who Loved Life and Golf
myspace codes
Click here for Myspace glitter graphics and Myspace layouts

Sunday, November 05, 2006

A Man Who Loved Life and Golf myspace layouts, myspace codes, glitter graphics myspace layouts, myspace codes, glitter graphics


The past few days have been very full. My hubby's auditor, who had retired about 6 months ago, passed away at the young age of 62 from a sudden heart attack so Dennis went to the funeral. He said there were about 200 people at the funeral. That he was very involved with his church and there was a genuine and overwhelming love for the man. Because the gentlemen was an avid golfer and enjoyed fishing, they played it up big time. They passed out golf tees with his name on them...very touching! They also had a couple of poems in the "In Loving Memory" program, they handed out. First, there was a cute caption under his picture that read, "Meet Me at the 19th Hole at Heaven's Clubhouse".

Here is and excerpt from ODE TO GOLF

In my hand I hold a ball
White and dimpled, rather small
Oh, how bland it does appear
This harmless looking little sphere.
By his size I could not guess
The awesome strength it does possess;
My life has not been quite the same
Since I chose to play this game.
It rules my mind for hours on end.
A fortune it has made me spend


A little something funny the Pastor said during the memorial service. There were three friends, Moses, Jesus, and the Wise Old Man, whom decided it was a perfect day to play a round of golf.

Upon coming to hole #7, they noticed it had a huge water hazard that they had to hit over to get to the hole. Moses went first and after hitting his ball into the water he went up to the ball and parted the sea and hit the ball to within 10 ft of the hole...no problem. The second golfer, Jesus hit the ball into the water, however, again no problem...he just walked on water and hit the ball about 1o ft away. The third golfer, the wise old man, hit the ball, and just as it was heading towards the water, a bird grabbed it in it's beak and flew over towards the green, where he dropped the ball and a squirrel knocked it in the hole. At which time, Moses turn toward Jesus and said, "I sure dislike playing with your Dad". hehe!

I finished my book "Redeeming Love" by Francine Rivers. Read it in about a day an half a morning, as it is almost a 500 page book. I wanted to save the little girl Sarah from the clutches of that horrible man Duke so bad. It made me sick to think that this terrible perverted abuse does occur. I admired Michael's, steadfast faith, loyalty and trust in our loving Lord God. I enjoyed the private conversations between he and our Lord God. I enjoyed the character Miriam, very much, and her sweet family. I loved the end of the book most of all, but will refrain from giving too much away, in the event you haven't had a chance to read it yourself.

So it's just the two of us realizing that when we are gone, and people weep for us and grieve, let it be because we touched their lives with love, laughter and happiness. That we not only lived life but celebrated life and all the glorious beauty that God bestows on us. That we lead by example a good, honest and loving Christian life that shines with pride and is not tarnished by shame. Because along with our memories, it is our "name", That remains with our loved ones, just the same...

14 Comments:

At 6:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Pamela ~ Sorry to hear about your husband's friend, 62 is too young
to die.The funeral did seem to be quite nice. Thank you for your comments.Glad you enjoyed Grandma's Day and the jokes. Crosswords keep our brains working I think. Thank you for your concern about my cousin, very kind of you. Take care my friend,
Love, Merle.

 
At 11:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Pamela, I was looking over different blogs sites and came across yours. I loved the joke with Moses, Jesus, and God. My house is just the 2 of us now too; and it is refreshing to hear about someone else that is watching their children make their way into this ole world. Blessings from Sue in DE.

 
At 3:35 PM, Blogger pjt3ket said...

what a touching post!! i loved the joke! thanks for stopping by my blog. stop by again anytime!

 
At 4:06 PM, Blogger Susie said...

So sorry to hear about Dennis' friend passing at 62! Too young! (The older I get, the younger that sounds!)
We do need to leave our good name when we leave this earth..

 
At 4:34 PM, Blogger Barb said...

Handing out golf tees with his name on them is about the nicest thing I've heard in ages. I'll bet you anything no one will use those tees but will save them as a keepsake.

The joke is hilarious. My husband is an avid golfer and we actually have a book of golf jokes. LOL

I read Redeeming Love in three days. I finished it about two weeks ago. I cringed at the things that happened to that little girl. And I was so impressed with Redeeming Love, I read The Scarlet Thread the next week. I'm becoming a huge fan of Francine Rivers and recommend all her books, especially the Mark of the Lion trilogy, to everyone.

I hope you have a wonderful Sunday and a great new week. This was a really nice post and I'm thrilled to death that good old blogger allowed me to tell you so. :-)

 
At 5:24 PM, Blogger Linda said...

Hi Pamela, I think the two of you are already all those things. Isn't it wonderful when a funeral service can be filled with laughter and joy! Our God is so good.
I love those jokes. You always find such appropriate pictures.
Have a restful sunday.

 
At 7:16 PM, Blogger Linda said...

Hey Pamela, Thanks for visiting. My birthday is on the 10th. I got a little ahead of myself, but I was just thinking about all that aging "stuff" so thought I would write about it.
That's something that our birthday's are so close. My daughter's is on the 27th. Great month November, isn't it?

 
At 7:32 PM, Blogger Helen said...

Hi Pamela, sad about your friend but I bet it was a comfort to his family that the funeral was filled with so many people and was filled with happy memories, it makes you think though doesn't it, how precious each day is that God gives us, I love the joke about the golf!

Have a good week Pamela!
Helen x.

 
At 7:40 PM, Blogger TJ said...

my hubby is also an avid golfer...
:-D

 
At 10:39 PM, Blogger someone else said...

What a lovely post this was. I'm sorry about the loss of your husband's friend.

 
At 2:20 AM, Blogger Nancy said...

Sorry to hear about your husbands friend, it sounds like he was really loved. How neat to hand out the golf tees! Great joke too. You are always so uplifting and as always, I have been blessed by my visit to your blog.
Blessings,
Nancy

 
At 2:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always think of the minister's remark at my father in-laws funeral. He asked my husband, "Why do you cry? Don't you know that this is what he has worked for his whole life?" That is more important than anything else. That we have lived a good life, loved God and others. Praise Him for His saving grace. I just dropped by through CWO and enjoyed my visit.

 
At 5:28 PM, Blogger couragetocreatewriteandlove said...

I am sorry to hear this about your husbands friend. With all due respect the funeral was so beautiful the way you are writing about, I am sure the family is happy to see so many people gather to be with such a great golfer friend. Thanks for your wise words at the very end. Pamela, I love your photo hunt, too.

 
At 11:38 PM, Blogger Carole Burant said...

What a shame about Dennis' friend passing away...as we get older, 62 doesn't sound old at all! Sounds like it was a wonderful service and I love the jokes! lol It makes it a bit easier when great memories can be shared at a loved ones funeral. Hugs xox

 

Post a Comment


Cursors

<< Home