Just The Two of Us: Grandmother's Fancy Footwork & Funky Socks
myspace codes
Click here for Myspace glitter graphics and Myspace layouts

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Grandmother's Fancy Footwork & Funky Socks myspace layouts, myspace codes, glitter graphics myspace layouts, myspace codes, glitter graphics

Funky Sock Exchange

Pretty Lady, of Strawberries and Champagne hosted a funky sock exchange and Marilyn
was my partner.

So thought it might be fun to share the cute
Valentine socks she sent me. They couldn't have come at a better time, as we have finally been having a bit of cold weather and the socks will definitely keep my toes warm. Seriously, I love them Marilyn and look forward to wearing them! I adore the cute little hearts and will always think of you every time I wear them!

Thanks again, Pretty Lady for hosting such a fun little exchange! It was so much fun getting a little something in the mail and I am looking forward to getting to know Marilyn a little better!


February is a special time of the year for just the two of us. We had our first date, fell in love, and became engaged to be married all in the month of February. Two years later, shortly after Valentine's Day we had our first baby boy, Kevin.

So being a romantic at heart, I thought it would be fun to share some old Valentine's Day cards that belonged to my grandmother. Some of which, are so detailed and elaborate, others are just plain cute! Everyday, between now and Valentines, I will share a couple of nostalgic cards.

Grandmother was born in 1910, so it would be my guess, that most of these cards are from the 1920's and 1930's! They are so endearing and remind me of the lovely sweet, and dainty lady my dear grandmother was and how much she influenced my life.

Grandmother (Trudi) was born in 1910 and was the oldest of two children. She and her brother Fred grew up in a modest apartment located above the Barbershop her father owned and operated, in St. Louis, MO. Back in the day it was quite the gathering place.

As a young girl I can remember getting to visit her parents, Pop and Great Grandmother, I was amazed and astounded that they actually had a working player piano! It was fascinating and extremely entertaining to watch them load the cylinder, which looked like a tube with all the the musical notes either punched through or raised up, allowing the piano to play the selected melody to perfection. Sadly enough, the player piano was left in the apartment as they had no means of moving it out without fear of damaging it. Another memory I recall was that fact that my great grandmother drank her coffee so strong that there was literally a eighth of a cup of coffee grounds in the bottom of her cup, isn't that icky! My Mom quickly hushed me when I started to comment about it having read my expression, as I peer in her cup.

Grandmother was petite at 5 ft tall and never weighed over 90 Lbs she wore beautiful long ringlets nearly all of my life. She owned more than fifty formals as she loved to dance and attended many balls in her lifetime. I treasure the fact that I have several pairs of long white lady's gloves, hats, jewelery, dance cards, post cards and the sweet little Valentine's to remember her by.

She loved to dance and it was not uncommon for folks to clear the dance floor in honor of watching the fancy foot work this lady could kick up! It was a passion of her's and she usually went dancing every week. She continued to dance with her boyfriend years after my grandfather passed away, all the way through her late eighty's! She also played the piano beautifully and eloquently, the music would just reverberate throughout the house that would leave your heart spellbound. Her fingers would fly up and down the piano keyboard, she was so very talented and passed that talent onto her only son, my Dad, who had his first recital broadcast on radio.

She was a social butterfly, and a lady through and through. She and My grandfather, whom I never met, having passed when I was three years old, belonged to the Bethesda Golf and Country Club in Maryland. He was an incredible golfer and won numerous golf matches. So much so, that there is a Memorial tournament that they still hold to this day that is named after him in his honor. He is buried in National Arlington Cemetery.

Grandmother belonged the the Ladies Bridge Club and frequently hosted Bridge tournaments. She would usually serve ladies finger food and I love that she made little notes on the cover of the 100 or so cookbooks I have denoting which recipe she used and liked and referenced the page number so you didn't have to flip through the whole book.

I will always fondly remember the summer I spent living with my grandmother in her flat located in Saint Louis, Missouri. It was the summer I was 15, and while I was brought up with extremely good manors, I could be a bit particular. Okay, I may have been a bit of a handful for a lady who had never had a daughter. I remember getting especially upset when I learned we were actually going to make applesauce and cut around the worm holes. I felt we should just toss the apple all together. After all, coming that close to a worm hole was more than I wanted to share. My grandmother was quick to inform me that there were children that were starving and would love to have applesauce made with these apples. I still to this day cannot stomach the idea of eating applesauce.

My grandmother and I had so much fun together that summer, she wanted nothing more than to educate me in the fine arts. Every day we took in the sights, the arts, museums, elegant restaurants, and my favorite, season passes to 10 of the most incredible plays held at the St. Louis Outdoor Orpheum Theater. The plays were superbly done! Some were not at all appropriate for a young girl but I relished each and everyone! In our down time, we would create crossword puzzles for each other! It was a favorite past time of ours. I loved looking through her GB book. A little book that girls carried and had close friends autograph, write a favorite poem in, or draw a cute picture. I was enthralled with how elaborate every post would be, some were so detailed that I could just imagine her friends taking hours to complete.

Grandmother passed away in 2002 at 92 years of age. She was quite a lady, and had a vivacious outgoing personality, she livened up a room and filled it with color. I will always feel blessed that I was able to spend that summer with her as she shared so much and touched my life with such lasting and meaningful lady like ways. She impressed upon me the importance of manners and proper etiquette. I will always love and treasure her memory.

So it's just the two of us doing a little reminiscing while doing a super difficult jig saw puzzle that is loaded with glitter of all things, and hoping you all take a bit of time to remember those who meant so much to you, who touched you in ways you'll always remember fondly.


21 Comments:

At 7:23 AM, Blogger Heart of Rachel said...

Those are very cute socks. It's nice that you enjoyed your funky sock exchange.

Lovely cards. It must be an honor to have them. I'm sure those cards have a lot of sentimental value.

Interesting how meaningful February is to you.

It's wonderful reading about your grandmother and grandfather. Your words show how much you truly admire and love them.

Thanks for sharing all those special things about you and your loved ones.

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger Merle said...

Hi Pamela ~~ Wonderful post, thanks
for sharing those treasured memories of your Granmother and the lovely Valentine cards. I really enjoyed reading this post.
Thank you for your visit, glad you enjoyed Maya's wisdom and the Eleven
on a Rope !! Good one that !!
Take care Pamela and it is good to know you are safe from the tragedy
in Florida recently. Love, Merle.

 
At 2:33 PM, Blogger Barbie @ Mamaology said...

Pamela, what sweet memories of your grandmother. Thanks for sharing. She sounds like one fun woman to be around.

 
At 3:00 PM, Blogger someone else said...

Those are wonderful valentines. Your grandmother sounds like someone who would have been a delight to know. What sweet memories. Thanks for sharing them with us.

 
At 3:35 PM, Blogger Linda said...

Great socks Pamela. I love socks!!
The Valentine cards are lovely. It seems to me they did things just a bit better in the "good old days". Your grandparents sound wonderful. Isn't it wonderful to have such precious memories. Family is so dear to us.
Have a good day.

 
At 3:43 PM, Blogger Susie said...

Loved seeing your old Valentines, but most of all reading your precious memories of your Grandma. What a dynamic lady she must have been! I can feel some of her joyful spirit in your posts!
((hugs))

 
At 4:06 PM, Blogger Kristen said...

Your grandmother sounds like she was a fascinating and amazing lady! That was a fun post to read.

Those Valentine cards are beautiful! Wish we had some like those nowadays.

Enjoy your special month. ;-)

 
At 4:17 PM, Blogger Sandra said...

How sweet, LOVE those socks :)

Sounds like you had a wonderful grandma, I am extremely close to mine :)

 
At 6:21 PM, Blogger Rae said...

Aww, I loved your wonderful story on your grandmother. I love the old Valentine's Day cards too, I have some around here from my grandmother that I have to dig out! February is just a love-filled month, don't ya think? =)

Have a great time with that puzzle!

 
At 7:01 PM, Blogger TJ said...

I loved hearing all about your grandmother and seeing the vintage cards...hope those socks keep your tootsie's warm!
:-D

 
At 7:59 PM, Blogger Tammy said...

I loved reading about your grandmother- and grandfather, too! That was facinating...how wonderful that she took you all those places and you were able to spend so much time with her!
I especially love that you still have all of those vintage Valentines...how very special!
It's funny, because I just posted on Sunday about my own grandmother! I guess we were each walking down memory lane with them this week! :)

 
At 9:02 PM, Blogger Ms. Kathleen said...

Oh, the socks are so cute and the little heart pillow! I got mine from Carmen a few posts ago and loved it. I wear the warm booties all the time.

I love the vintage cards. They are so sweet and romantic and innocent!

Check out my cheap dates. You'll get a kick out of the last one!

Oh, Carmen got my sock package!

Hugs!

 
At 9:15 PM, Blogger Carole Burant said...

Such cute little socks you received from your Funky Sock Exchange partner:-) I have Robyn in Australia as my partner...the mail is so slow between Canada and Australia, it will probably take ages before our parcels reach each other!!

I so enjoyed reading about your Grandmother...she seemed a very special lady and it's wonderful that you have so many precious memories of her! I just love the Valentine cards, what treasures they are!!!

 
At 9:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love those socks. Very cute.


Mike
http://somethingaboutparenting.typepad.com/

 
At 9:47 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

What a fun story about your grandmother (probably not called Grandma, since she was so classy!). I especially loved the applesauce story.

Kev and I have posted our #2 of our series.

 
At 10:01 PM, Blogger Amy said...

Oh Pamela, I enjoyed the memories of your grandmother. What an energetic woman! Very special too!

My Grandma Treadway always reminds me of Granny on the Beverly Hillbillies because she was so active and going all the time. My Grandma Williams lived to be 96! And as you know my Grandpa W. lived to be 102 1/2! I've learned so much through all of them. I'm happy to see my children happily listening to stories the Grandma's tell. I hope I'm a fun grandma!

Any news on your new granddaughter yet?!!!!!

 
At 10:03 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

what cute socks you got in the exchange! and what neat valentine's cards you have from your grandmother -thanks for sharing some of your memories of her!

 
At 11:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW, what a post! What wonderful and cherished memories those must be. Glad you like the socks. I got your package yesterday! Will get a picture/post up about them when I get a minute. (Have to head back to school to help with a parent night tonight.) But just wanted to stop by and say THANK YOU SO MUCH!

 
At 12:19 AM, Blogger HLiza said...

You're lucky to be able to keep all those nice cards from long long ago.. I think greeting cards only exist in Malaysia when we were ruled by British, and only they send and receive them..not the locals. Valentine Day is only widely (but not officially) celebrated 20 years ago. My memories with grandma is not much too..she passed away when I was 9.

 
At 11:01 AM, Blogger HORIZON said...

What a lovely post Pamela- l really enjoyed the read. Your Grandmother sounded like a real Lady with a smashing character too :) Lovely memories for you to treasure and those cards are beautiful keepsakes.
Thanks for dropping by my blog- has been a difficult month in more ways than one. Have to ask about the blog nomination?? lol
Bests x

 
At 3:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

 

Post a Comment


Cursors

<< Home